Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Gustav Last

Home at last. Haven't had a shower since Sunday AM so this is going to be decidedly short! I have some roof damage and trees down - sandbags kept water out thoough. All in all no worse for the wear. Storm clouds linger, but it is quiet. No word from Christ Church BSL yet. Other churches are OK. BSL took a big hit. Waveland had 19 ft surge (Katrina was 26 there). News from NOLA is good. Although if I were the authorities I would be all over the companies that did not secure the barge and ships. That was an unnecessary risk. Thankfully no harm done. Now the talk is of a safe return to NOLA and working on how to deal with the stress and trauma of having to evacuate. There wil be some mental fatigue and depression. In fact a lot. This will be an issue for us to consider after we are all back home.

Geoffrey Lewis has put together a series of photos of Gustav. Some are his and some may be from other sources. Pretty vivid shots though. Here is the link on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPMzWBx51Vk

I have contacted about 1/3 of the parishionrs and all are safe and sound with damage at minimum. Will continue to hear from others as the week goes on I am sure. John Byrd caught a snake which he promptly wanted to show to me. Some things just never change. We lost some limbs at the parish house but the roof held. DeMiller Hall had some leaks, but they were monir and Holy Guardian Angels will open tomorrow. Faye, Malcolm, Julie and I did a walk through this AM. The debris line is inches short of the Camille Memorial. We have quite a mess to clean up but little other damage. With Ike headed toward the Gulf I will keep the vestments at my house.

I give thanks for all of the letters, emails, and prayers.

"...As it is there are many members, yet one body...
If one member suffers, all suffer together with it:..."

My prayer today is that we will continue to be one Body in Christ and that we will stand together what ever pain, suffering, or storm might come our way. I am consciece of the peril of Hurricanes Hannah and Ike and I pray for safety for all in the path. I tell my children in Godly Play that wherever they go God gets there first and is waiting to welcome them. Thanks be the God.

No comments: