Sunday, August 31, 2008

Good Morning Gustav # 3

It is about 5:45. Not a lot of sleep last night. I have just gotten John out the door headed for Jackson. He plans to return on Tuesday. The latest forecast seems to have tracked Gustav back to the west. Good for us, but NOLA is still in the NE quandrant with a devastating storm surge. The down side of the west shift is that they also have pushed the landfall time further ahead and that will mean it will hit at high tide. (Monday PM) NOLA is in full evacuation. The roads are solid. It is the first time I have heard a trooper say "If you have an accident and there are no injuries, just move on".

I wonder about the safety of Beth Dyson's daughter. She is in BSL which is much closer to NOLA and to the water. If anyone knows where she is riding the storm please let me know. 317-240-722.

It is quiet here in the early morning hours. Gov. Barbour has declared emergency of course. So has Bush. I guess that is significant, but right now it seems pretty redundant. I am losing my interest in watching the weather. "What has been done - has been done - let it be". I got an email from Rita at Loaves and Fishes - "who is leaving and who is staying?" Mississippi has launched a massive bus evacuation so those who have no transportation will be able to get out. Most are traveling just north of I10 to stay with relatives. I am going to Redeemer in about and hour and will check on folks at Main Street and on parishioners who are staying. I suspect that we will have a small crowd today.

The skies are still clear and the air is cool - but humid. August on th eGulf coast. It is hard to believe that such destruction is barreling our way.

Jane

No comments: