Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hurricane Gustav # 1

Hi from the Gulf Coast. I am going to try to keep a blog going as Hurricane Gustav approaches and as Hannah churcn behind him. I will try to report on the conditions, my impressions, my feelings, and the impact on those who we have been serving over the past three years. It is ironic that this storm comes on the anniversary weekend of Katrina. My first thoughts from my "Wall" on Facebook.

Friday evening AM The storm seems to be going west of NOLA which will lessen the intensity here but we are expecting hurricane force winds. I have lots of batteries and water and enough non-perishable food for 3 days. After that I will go on a diet. I am washing clothes, calling parihsioners, and putting my mailbox in cement. I have a travel house for Miss Kitty and lots of cat food and litter. I even have duck tape for the windows. I have my Red Cross badge and and am ready to help open shelters.

As for feelings... I am frightened. I have been through hurricanes before, but I was younger then. I am conscience of the concern in the voices of other elderly parishioiners who are limited in the ability to endure physical stress. All of this is of course coming over Labor Day weekend and is a definite deja vu. Thanks for your prayers and calls. They mean a whole lot. Jane

Saturday morning In Biloxi we are still eyeing Gustav with caution. Predictions say we are in for 65 to 85 mph winds and lots of water. I have decided to stay, but to sandbag my lox back doors in hopes of avoiding flash flooding in the den. John is here with his two cats and Miss Kitty is acting like she never heard of hospitality. Oh well she will just have to deal with it. Today my plans are to go fill up the cars, buy one more 5 gal gas can and fill it up, mow the grass (yuck), plant my mailbox and bring all the yard stuff into the garage, and thne make phone calls to the remiaining parishioners so that on Monday I wil know where they have gone. Church will be light tomorrow. I am feeling mostly apprehension and some exctement. I am not as frightened for MS but I am VERY worried about NOLA. The Corps exect NO East, 9th Ward, and parts of Metarie to flood - and of course all of the area south of NOLA. They expect the levees in the inner part of the city to hold. We will see. Later

No comments: