Sunday, August 31, 2008

Gustav #4

Just back with a car full of vestments and books. As I rode along Hwy 90 the stream of cars from NOLA was continous. The houses all boarded up. People are doing OK. We had about 55 today for church. There is a sense of relief that we will get minimal hurricane frce winds and only a 15 ft surge - 1/2 of Katrina. But there is great sadness for New Orleans. I cried all the way home. One of the parihsioners had come along I 10 and she said that all she could see for mile after mile were LA plates. I am reminded of Jesus weeping over Jerusalem. And now I am crying again. I have got to stop that as I need to go put baptismal records in plastic bags and feed the cats...

One really spirit lifting thing has been the number of calls we have gotten from folks who do not keep me on the phone very long, but who say we are praying for you. One call from Maryland just a few minutes ago was "We are putting together a team. We will be there" Oh my gosh what a gift.

No comments: