Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Beginnings

Saturday, January 27th, 2007

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being 4 in him was life,1 and the life was the light of all people. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it. John 1:1-5

 
Nor did the water overcome it.  Everywhere I go, as I begin my ministry in Mississippi, I am reminded of the power of God’s Love to overcome the darkest of human tragedy.  Make no mistake, there is dire need here.  Even those who have found the resources to put their physical homes back together struggle to maintain a sense of hope for the future.  Those who have not found those resources, those who wait in FEMA trailers (and there are thousands of trailers), those who are disabled or sick – these folks show the strain and the sadness on their faces and in their voices as they watch for God’s Light to rekindle their hope. 
 
Today was a beautiful day.  The sky was clear and the temperature was mild.  I am sitting in my home office looking out the window at a single star hanging brightly in the sky.  The sun has just about gone.  The days are longer here.  It is already after 6PM.  I have begun to get to know the people.  I have been welcomed with a warm hospitality that I know is typical of the South.  They are patient with me even when I remind them for the umpteenth time that I do not need nor want to be addressed as “Miss Jane” 
 
I stopped at Walmart yesterday.  The cashier was a young, attractive African-American lady who was curious about the white collar around my neck.  After I had satisfied her curiosity, our conversation turned to the storm.  Having recently heard that State Farm (the largest insurer in the area) had settled with some homeowners to pay 50 cents on the dollar for the damaged homes, I wondered what her reaction would be.  I began with “Were you affected by the storm?”  She gave me an incredulous look.  An elderly Caucasian lady behind me, who turned out to be a Redeemer parishioner, said “That is like asking if we got up this morning…We were all affected by the storm.”  There was an uncomfortable silence as the three if us considered my question and then the young cashier looked up and said, “I lost my home and all that was in it.  But I am alive and I have a job.  I am living in a trailer where my house was until April.  Then I will lose my trailer.  I am not sure what will happen then.”  The elderly lady behind me said, “This is our new Associate Rector from Massachusetts.  She is here to help.”  At once I felt proud of what we are trying to do here and overcome by the enormity of the task and the difficulties we face in our effort to alleviate such pain.  I expressed my concern, offered to keep them both in my prayers, and left the Walmart.
 
That bright star has almost moved out of sight in the now darkened sky.  Clouds are moving in.  There will be rain tomorrow.  I know that many of my new neighbors will have water in their houses when the blue tarp covering the roof gives way.  I pray for them and with them.  I am going to Jackson next week to meet with several advocacy groups from the Coast to plan a coordinated approach to the housing needs here.  Alone I  cannot make a difference, but I with many others can.  You are part of those many others.  We need your prayers, your financial support, and your time.  If you would like to come to work, please let me know.  There is lots to be done and my new friends will welcome you with the same warmth as they welcomed me.   If you cannot come down, then please consider getting involved with the Task Force work or supporting it with your dollars.  Together we will be God’s torches in the darkest of places.
 
God’s Peace be with you,
Jane+
 
PS.  A federal judge in Gulfport refused the State Farm settlement.  I think the judge feels that they should pay more, but the general consensus is that something is better than nothing and there is a great fear that the longer the insurance companies are allowed to hold the money the less likely they will be to pay.  More to follow on this…

No comments: